Braised Duck (Teochew style)
Braised duck or the teochew like to call it, lo ack (which basically means braised duck). I decided that I would learn and make an awesome braised duck yesterday, and that’s exactly what I did today. Thanks to this awesome braised duck video that I saw on YouTube.
Grandma’s recipes. Totally rocks! I decided that I would adapt her recipe to my preference and style of cooking. I like using the thermal cooker, so my recipe works with the thermal cooker.
Are you ready? Here goes!
1. Half a duck *chopped*
2. Galangal or blue ginger – 6-7 slices
3. Raw sugar – 4 Tbsp
4. 1 cinnamon stick
5. Dark soy sauce *tai hua brand, standard quality* small bottle can liao
6. 250 ml of water.
1. Salt the duck lightly and then wash it away. I skipped this step because I found it quite dumb. Plus I didn’t want to waste salt.
2. Heat the sugar in a wok until it turns brown. Make sure it doesn’t burn. So moderating the fire is critical.
3. Dump the pieces of duck into the work and allow the sugar to coat the duck. The grandma video say 8 Tbsp of sugar. I think it is too much, so I used half.
4. After you roughly got some sticky sugar onto the duck, you then add half a bottle of dark soy sauce. Don’t go and buy the big bottle and add half a bottle. It is not the same Ok?
5. Add the sliced blue ginger into the pot. If you don’t like the ducky smell, add more ginger. Or par boil the duck first.
6. Add the cinnamon stick. Then add water. Adjust accordingly.
7. Boil at high heat for at least 15 minutes, then dump the pot into the thermal cooker and allow it to slow cook for at least throughout the day or overnight. Up to you.
8. Serve with steam rice.
Bon Appetit !!