I would have loved to call it Hainanese Chicken or some other fanciful name, but it is really just that boiled chicken.
It is so simple and easy to do you would be shocked. Anyone can do it.
In fact, the ingredient list is so simple, you have no excuse not to make this dish.
1 whole Kampung Chicken (The chicken seller at the wet market will sell it to you. Very easy.)
1 teaspoon of Sea Salt
1. Boil enough water in a kettle and pour it into a large pot. The pot must be large enough to contain one whole kampung chicken.
2. Once the water bath is ready. Turn on the fire until very small. By now you can see water vapour but you can’t see bubbles. This is perfect.
3. Slip the entire chicken (breast side down) into the water bath and go read a book. Remember to add one teaspoon of salt before you go off.
4. Let the chicken relax in the water bath for at least an hour before taking it out to rest for a good 5 hours.
5. By the time it is ready for serving, debone the chicken and if you like you can add light soya sauce and some sesame seed oil for flavouring. That’s it!
Boil chicken over a slow fire
Resting after bathing is important