Crab Udon – Quick and Fuss Free
My wife told me to get my own dinner tonight and as usual I would struggle with what to eat. I would usually go for the quick-and-dirty fishball noodles soup as it was usually one of the cheaper options and I would be done with dinner before a 3 year old can finish an ice cream cone.
But I decided that I would cook a simple dinner instead – more importantly a fuss free one. Of course we all know cooking your own dinner is never fuss free. You are already going out of your way to buy ingredients when takeaway would have been a more sensible alternative. Fuss free is what the professional television celebrity chef would have you believe. It is never fuss free.
So whilst waltzing through NTUC – the National Trade Union Congress – supermarket, I spotted a whole container of extra large mud crabs, everyone of them looking up and feeling hopeful and I had compassion. I decided I had to cook crab for dinner, and that it had to be quick because time was really not on my side. The wife has already commissioned me to bathe the toddler and I needed to get it done before she completes her facial.
So off I went, bought what I needed and I managed to cook the meal in 20 minutes in my kitchen. 5 minutes more then Jamie Oliver and 2 minutes less than 周杰伦 (Jay Chou).
Mud Crab (or any other crabs that you would like to get, 1 extra large crab for 1 person)
Udon (1 packet per person, doesn’t matter which brands)
Mini Tofu Puffs (1 box should be enough)
Campbell’s New England Clam Chowder (this is the key ingredient to sweetening the deal)
Thai Fish Sauce (not much just a drizzle will do)
1. Pour the canned soup into a claypot and add two cans worth of hot water. Turn up the heat.
2. Then cut the tofu puffs into diagonals and add to the claypot.
3. Let the tofu boil and soften. Wash and chop the “live” mud crab into pieces. Smash the shells with a mallet.
4. Once the tofu puffs are softened, add the crab pieces and cook till the shell is a reddish hue. This is a sign that the crab is cooked.
5. Add the udon noodles and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
6. Serve immediately. Shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes. Since it is for one person, I ate directly from the claypot.
Campbell’s New England Clam Chowder
Mini Tofu Puffs
Wash and Chop Crab
Cook Mini Tofu Puffs till softened
Lay the crab on its back and Chop it down the centre.